Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mmmmm, toasty

In the cinematic masterpiece, Nacho Libre, the title character utters words that will warm the hearts of audiences for generations to come.

"Good toast," Nacho says to Encarnacion, the nun who has recently arrived from the Oaxaca Parish Convent of the Immaculate Hearts Sisters Ladies Mountains of Guadalupe.

Clearly, the man was a visionary. Apply a little heat to ordinary bread and it is transformed from the cardboard slabs you'd find at P.J. Blands to the warm, crusty deliciousness we know as toast.

Friday's lunch destination was Toasters, a hip little sandwich, salad and soup shop just south of the Salt Palace Convention Center. The Bosnian immigrants who run the joint have really perfected the art of toast-making. The panini-style bread that adorns their sandwiches is perfectly grilled, slightly chewy but with a pleasing texture. It's probably my favorite bread product in all of sandwich-dom.

The other ingredients are always super fresh and tasty, too. This time, I opted for the salami/cappocola sandwich (something I've ordered in the past) and it was good, though just as Greg found with his prosciutto, my cappocola was just a little on the tough side. It hasn't been that way before. Even so, the meal was flavorful and Toasters never skimps on the cheese or meat, important for racking up man-up points. And for you ladies scoring at home, no, you can't man-up without a generous helping of meat or cheese (preferably both).

A full sandwich will run you about $7 depending on ingredients, which isn't too bad, considering the generous portions. That price includes a side of Lay's potato chips. Drinks are separate and refillable.

Man-up possibilities: 7
Food quality: 7 (usually a bit higher)
Overall: 7.5

— Brady

7 comments:

  1. Solid work man! Humor, an all-inclusive review and you liked it... a blog first, even if it is only your second post. You also take first prize for trying the hardest to sound like a true food critic. Hey, there's an idea. Maybe Stacey could rate who sounds most like a foody after each week's posts? Anyone, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that would be funny. And then Stacey can switch jobs with the winner for the week! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to run that by her, but I'm not sure she'll go for it. I do appreciate the comment about the drinks being refillable, though. That's definitely something that should be mentioned every week! (ALSO, the kids were watching "Nacho" in the minivan during our road trip tonight. I chuckled to myself after the "toast" line, and now I'm laughing again!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about I pick the month's most critic-ish post and take 'em with GPaK and me for the real thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I like the sound of that. No one should have free steak courtesy of the Deseret News but me. Call me selfish, but that's how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just leave one of the kids home and bring the winner. Not like the munchkins need to eat every stinking day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, a true prize? I was just aiming for some recognition and fist pumping, but a meal! I like the sound of that... a lot!

    ReplyDelete