Friday, August 14, 2009

A Crown for the real burger king







Writer’s note:
This column has been correlated by Greg Kratz. For those of you not familiar with the correlation process at the DNews, all Church News content has to be approved by the good folks across the street. To give you an idea of how raunchy the lunch was, Greg insisted on correlating today’s review. ... Though to be fair, I usually ask Greg to copy edit my work, just not censor it.


Editor's note: Wingnut needs a fair amount of editing. And if you've ever met him, you would agree that he needs a fair amount of censoring. But happily, I did not need to do much of either to this review. Have a nice day.

Mission of the day: Three of us would eat for six. Now that’s manning up.

So with that in mind, half of the GPaK crew decided to return to an old but delicious standby: Crown Burgers. And oddly enough, we haven’t reviewed it since the inception of this blog.

I told GPaK Thursday that I was craving something kinda nasty (for lunch), so a sloppy burger was the perfect cure.

After visiting our accounting department earlier in the morning, my friend Brent told me to try the house specialty, the Crown Burger.

Now I’m a creature of habit when it comes to restaurants that I frequent, but I made a last-minute change from my usually yummy bacon cheeseburger to the Crown.

This is a meat-lover's burger with a generous-sized patty stacked an inch high with pastrami. The wonderful creation was topped off with a thick slide of cheddar cheese, fresh lettuce and a juicy tomato slice.

I might be in love .... with this burger. And I would have thought topping their bacon cheeseburger would have been impossible. The only thing I might change on the Crown would be the sauce. It’s very tasty, but does make the bun a little too soggy. And I could do with a few less calories ... but who the hell am I kidding! The Crown was damn amazing. (Tasty tip: Turn the Crown upside down so the yummy pastrami is the first thing to hit your taste buds.)

Brady also manned-up with their chili dog and a man-size order of onion rings. And I loved Brady’s way of eating the meal — an onion ring with every bite of dog. He did leave a few rings on his tray, so he might not have completely manned-up. ... He has always eaten like a bird, so you can be the judge.

And rounding out the trio, GPaK enjoyed the ever-popular bacon cheeseburger with a huge order of fries that were hot with just the right amount of salt (the key to good fries).

Food Quality: 9.5
Fizz-o-meter of Coke: 8
Man-up possibilities: 10
Overall: 9.5

As a bonus to the review, here are some of the outtakes from today’s lunch conversation. For your entertainment, you can try to match up the names of GPaK, Wingnut and Brady to each of the quotes.

“Don't make me pull out my belly and shake it at you.”
“Could you lay off the belly comments?”
“You are kind of like SuperScrunch.”
“I probably shouldn't yell, ‘I need it!' to Chuck across the room.”
“You want me to take a picture of you taking a bite out of your big wiener?”
“That was just alarming.”
“Rings on the dog.” (a Michael Vick reference)
“Where did you pull that out of?” RESPONSE: “I think you know where!”
“I have the velvet jumpsuit on under this.”
“I’m pretty sure I've never set foot inside a Utah booby bar. ... I know that's pretty surprising.”

— Wingnut (with an assist from GPaK)

4 comments:

  1. I love Crown Burgers. I can't believe this is the first time we've gone since the blog started, and I think it's safe to say that it was a visit that was WAAAAAY overdue.

    Both Brady and Wingnut almost tempted me to stray from my usual today with their menu selections, but in the end I stuck with the reliably delectable bacon cheeseburger. And here's why: Crown Burgers does bacon right. In fact, their bacon is perfect. It's always crispy without being burned. It always tastes good. And it always adds the perfect touch to a perfect burger. Thus, I am giving Crown Burgers a perfect 10.

    I always leave this particular establishment feeling satisfied – like I've manned up, and all is right with the world. Such was the case today. And such is the reason I'll be back many, many times in the future.

    Oh, and for the record, I'm pretty sure I didn't say any of those quotes. Or maybe I did. I'm sure I don't remember.

    Food Quality: 10
    Fizz-o-meter of Coke: 8
    Man-up possibilities: 10
    Overall: 10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday's meal was delicious, of course. I chose the chili dog and added cheddar cheese and onions, then dominated my fellow diners with the huge order of onion rings. My only quibble: the chili and dog could have been a little hotter. Still an excellent outing.

    Man-up possibilities: 10
    Food quality: 8.5
    Fizz-o-meter: 8
    Overall: 9

    Re: The Quotes: I was both misquoted and taken out of context. Also, I might have been sitting at a different table than Chuck and Greg, possibly at an Astro Burger in Sacramento.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry i couldn't make it today boys. alas. someone has to work at night on a friday.

    my thoughts:

    first: you've eaten at crown burger and never had a CROWN BURGER? that's like saying you've swam but you never got wet. glad you took care of that.

    two: i just gained 7 pounds and added 12 points to my cholesterol level reading these reviews. nicely done.

    thrice: i wish CB made better fries. maybe that's just me. but oh man does their fry sauce rock! anyway, yeah. THE crown burger is the way to fly here.

    peace out. until next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds like you fellas were in rare form this afternoon. Sorry I missed it. Well, I was with my girls, so not TOO sorry... but it definitely sounds like a fun one.

    And nice tip on the Crown sandwich Chuckles. I too have never entered the namesake territory, but that review might just force me to order up a slab of all that appears right with food.

    Are we on the verge of having a complete crew back together next week? I hope so! And have you fellas noticed the hit counter at the bottom of the site. I'm number 200. I don't know how that's possible since it has only been up a couple of weeks but I guess somebody reads us or we just continually hit refresh to see if we have commented on each other. Yeah, probably the later.

    One question for you Wingnut... did you give labor to that meal later on in the evening?

    ReplyDelete