Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer Solstice









With the official arrival of summer less than 36 hours away, it seemed appropriate that we venture to a burger joint to ring in the occasion. And since we were half-sized this week (only three GPaKers were present and/or able to dine today), we took Brady's new rig (an Acura RDX) and made our way to Squatters Pub and Brewery.

With our location and mode of transportation accounted for, we first had to get a rundown of all the cool features on Brady's new toy. It's safe to say, we'd never spent that much time sitting in a vehicle in the parking garage on purpose. To make the journey even more delightful, Brady punched in our destination into the fancy nav system, and off we went. The only disappointing part was that Brady still had to operate the vehicle. I'm pretty sure this car can do everything but drive itself, which Brady will take care of as soon as he writes a script.

The month of June has pretty much been filled with rainy days, so with temperatures in the mid-70s and the sky blue and nonthreatening, we opted to dine on the patio under a shade of yellow awnings. Wise decision. Upon arrival, the majority of tables outside finished up and we pretty much dined on our own.

I opted for the Squatters Bourbon Burger cooked medium well. The caramelized onion offering was too good to pass up, and it did not disappoint. Between the sweet onion taste, a slice of cheese and the burger itself, it's safe to say I haven't had a burger that didn't at some point need a splash of catsup. I enjoyed it so much I almost forgot about the delicious sweet potato fries that accompanied my burger. Again, no sauce was needed, leaving the food about as perfectly prepared as I've experienced. A cold glass of watery water (this means it's a solid glass of water) chased my feast, and I left happy and satisfied.

From the time we stepped out of the vehicle until the time we had burgers in front of us was a mere 20 minutes. This, along with prompt but not over attentiveness from our server, left me thinking there was little this meal didn't accomplish.

Upon returning to the vehicle for the short drive back to the office, Brady's vehicle rang (his Bluetooth enabled phone interrupted our radio noise), so we got to experience a live phone call — another cool feature to an ultra-cool car. The Acura salesman who was on the other end timed the call perfectly and concluded what was a fast, fun and feastful lunch.

Man-up possibilities: 10 (Burgers galore and we didn't even look at the dessert menu)
Food quality: 9
Service: 9
Fizz-o-meter of Coke: 8
Overall: 9.5

—SuperScrunch

3 comments:

  1. A fine, fine choice for Friday lunch, Jon. I've never been to Squatters (hard to believe since I've been working downtown for more than 20 years) and it was as enjoyable a lunch as I've had in quite some time.

    I ordered the Black & Bleu burger (blue cheese and bacon). It was very tasty. I especially appreciated that all the fixings (including condiments) came on the side so I could choose what I wanted on the burger. I paid a buck extra for onion rings instead of fries and they were excellent.

    Friday lunch fun fact: Jonny admits that he has sat on the same side of a booth with his wife when they were the only two people dining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, here are my rankings:

    Man-up possibilities: 10 (dozens of manly options)
    Food quality: 9
    Service: 9
    Overall: 9.5

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with all of the above. There was something extra summer-like about the way the shades above us made everything look yellow, and the little birds hopping between the tables added to that feel. Very nice.

    As for my burger, it was delicious. I had the basic, cooked medium well, but I paid extra to add cheddar cheese and bacon. The beef was well-seasoned and cooked to my instructions, the side ingredients were fresh, the bun held everything together and the fries were battered just the way I like them.

    All in all, I'm hoping we make many return GPaK trips to Squatters.

    Man-up possibilities: 10
    Food quality: 9
    Service: 9.5
    Overall: 9.5

    ReplyDelete