Monday, December 21, 2009

Express enjoyable! Even for a slow old guy.


It's ironic that “express” is in the name of the restaurant that we dined at and later (much later) reviewed. Obviously I need to visit the dictionary on the definition of the word.

So my sincere apologies for the tardiness of my Braza Express review.

But for those who were at the News on Friday, you know that it was an unusually hectic day filled with meetings, with barely enough time to enjoy the doughnuts and our lunch tradition.

I might add that GMac has yet to fulfill his obligation to the GPaK Crew and write another review.

But if you are a vegetarian, like our dear friend Gmac, then Braza Express is not for you.

For the meat lovers ... it’s time to rejoice!

I will admit, I was a little on the grumpy side going into Friday’s lunch, just looking for a few things to nit-pick. But to be honest, when I tried to come up with a few, they were just minor little things that every place would probably have on a given day. (I asked for a fountain drink, but they failed to tell me the Diet Coke was out.)

For my lunch, I chose the Mixed Grill, which included two pieces of each of the meats featured on their main menu: tenderloin, top sirloin, chicken and ham with tasty grilled pineapple.

This was a man’s meal. The portion sizes were huge, and there was no way this old grumpy guy was going to finish his plate.

Set up cafeteria style, this new Main Street eatery was a nice surprise. All of my grilled meats were cooked to perfection. Although, with their utensils, the plastic knife proved to be a little challenging. But again, I was easily frustrated. :)

With the Mixed Grill entree, my plate (the to-go kind — they ran out of the regular plates) came heaped with rice smothered in black beans, a small hunk of bread, 8 pieces of meat, steamed vegetables and another side of salad (they had four kinds from which to choose).

Braza is a breath of fresh air on Main.

-Wingnut

Man-up possibilities: 11
Quality: 9.9
Service: 9
Overall 9.9

Quotes of the day :

That was your opportunity to feed the bird.
You should really let your entire self-image be based on what others think of you.
Are you in trouble with the wife?
I can just feel myself flushing up.
I just keep getting rid of TVs and nothing's changed.
There's nothing funnier than little kids dropping the f-bomb.
I'm already at half-Kratz.
Do you have a light coming out of your crack?

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm. Now where did we go for lunch on Friday? It's so long ago that I can barely remember. I do think there was meat involved. Mmmmm. Meat.

    Actually, I must concur with much of Wingnut's (EXTREMELY LATE!!) review. We had the same thing, and I was likewise pleased with the quantity of meat I received and the quality. The ham was especially delicious, and I always like the grilled pineapple.

    That said, I do have a couple of quibbles. I found it annoying that they stacked everything on one small plate, as I ended up with green salad on top of my rice. That meant I had a warm salad, as well as bits of lettuce in my rice, neither of which is something I seek at the average restaurant.

    Also, I must say that this Express version of Braza pales in comparison to the real thing, where skewers of meat are brought to your table over and over again until you're so full that you feel like you're going to pop — or, as one former DNews intern put it, until you get the "meat sweats."

    That said, I would go to Braza Express again, because I am, after all, a meat lover. It was interesting to look around the dining room and see only one woman among all of those who were enjoying Braza's edibles. It's a man's kind of place, I guess. And I am a man!

    Man-up possibilities: 10
    Food quality: 8.5
    Service: 8.5
    Fizz-o-meter of Coke: 7
    Overall: 9

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with GPaK for the most part. Braza Express isn't as good as the original and I too was annoyed with the small plates. If I recall correctly, Greg chose the white rice instead of the chicken risotto, which really wasn't that flavorful and I found myself wishing I'd stuck with the plain white. The meats were mostly good, though the first piece of ham I ate was too sweet and a bit mushy. Then there was the tables, which were just a little too small for four men.

    Ordinarily, I prefer beef over poultry, but the hunks of chicken were my favorite part of the "Mixed Grill." They were juicy and well seasoned.

    Man-up possibilities: 9.5
    Food quality: 8
    Service: 8
    Overall: 8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friday, hmmm... that was what three days ago. I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night let alone lunch three days ago. Fortunately, we have photographic evidence of lunch so it's easy to recall when you have a late poster.

    While everyone else went with the mixed grill, I knocked $2 off the price of their meal and chose the ham and pineapple meal. A huge fan of the sweet and salty, this meal didn't disappoint. The ham was tender and the grilled pineapple, though it looked like it had been sitting in water for a while still had some crunch and excellent flavor.

    Add the chicken rosoto rice with black beans, a roll, mixed veggies and oh yes, a side of broccoli salad and it easily filled me up. No skimping at this place.

    I can't say I'm disappointed with the Express version of anything when you have to expect something a little inferior to the real thing. Braza was hearty, truly filling and easily accessible for return visits.

    Man-up possibilities: 10
    Food quality: 8
    Service: 9
    Overall: 8.5
    Water: watery

    Oh and since the three brainiacs didn't give me a word of the day on Friday, I went out on a limb and "discovered" one on my own. Without further ado, I give you...

    Doloros [Doh-luh-ruhs]

    Marked by, causing, or expressing grief or sorrow.

    Yes, I know, a random word, but it's the first thing I came upon in my "random search."

    Merry Christmas fellas, and gals that read this thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not to be an annoying loser, but I believe you mean "dolorous." Sorry; I was the Wyoming state spelling champion and old habits die hard.

    It makes me dolorous to correct you. And it also makes me dolorous to NOT have grilled pineapple at this very moment.

    ReplyDelete