Friday, August 28, 2009

Iggy's piggies












A fearsome foursome of the GPaK crew was reunited for the first time in weeks today, and it made for a lunch to remember.

As regular readers of this blog already know, we are a light-eating bunch. Today, I went with a green salad, no dressing. Brady had a 2.5-ounce steamed-tuna-on-crackers sandwich. Scrunch had bread with water. Wingnut was still too full from his birdseed breakfast, so he decided to dine on conversation alone.

At least, that's what would have happened in bizarro world.

In the real world of the GPaK, we went to Iggy's. From the moment we were greeted by the Elvira-clone hostess at the door until we arrived back at the office, it was a festival of manning up.

It's true that we were thrown a bit off our game by an encounter in the elevator before leaving the DN building. As a result, we started the meal as a GPaK crew full of rage. But we quickly recovered and had our normal jovial conversation, but for a few minutes of serious discussion about Michael Vick. I really don't know why we talked about Vick. Maybe it was the sporty atmosphere, with TVs showing clips of football and baseball games. But there you go.

I'll let the boys talk about their own meals, but let it be known that Brady's decision to order a steak — and then his ability to devour all of it, along with a hefty portion of mashed potatoes and, strangely, some vegetables — made him the man of the hour. I'm guessing he's already fallen asleep in his way-too-large-for-his-job-title third floor office, probably resting his head on one of the 50 gazillion computers he hordes down there while denying the smallest technology trifles to the rest of us. Yes, he is my hero.

As for me, I had the All-American burger. I ALWAYS have that at Iggy's, and it never disappoints. The burger is big. It's meaty. The cheddar cheese is always melty, and the bacon is cooked right. I also love the Iggy's fries. I don't know what kind of batter they put on those little bits of potato-y goodness, but it works. And the loaf of bread they give you at Iggy's to start your meal makes you feel special. Nice.

Two interesting side-notes from our meal. First, they were filming a commercial at Iggy's while we were there, and the person who started as our server was, apparently, one of the stars, so we ended up having four different people wait on us during our time in the restaurant. And second, a $10 bill that I used to pay for my meal also had been in the possession, at least briefly, of Scrunch, Wingnut and Brady, in that order, before it came to me. Truly, the GPaK that pays together, stays together.

Food Quality: 9
Fizz-o-meter of Coke: NA (they serve stinkin' Pepsi)
Man-up possibilities: 10 (I still can't believe Brady ate that entire steak)
Service: 8
Overall: 9

— GPaK

Again, today, we feature some quotes from the GPaK during the meal. I didn't say any of these things, and I'm appalled at most of them. As far as you know.

"I am not googling sweaty ball sacks."
"We'll have to edit it down."
"Does your group have a name?"
"Don't we miss stories anyways?"
"It seems like an angry GPaK crew."
"He totally ruined our mojo."
"You gonna prina up?"
"Is it a prerequisite to look look like a mini-Elvira?"
"Can you see up my nostrils? Am I flexing?"
"Look at the size of that pickle."
"Stunt eaters....I could do that."
"It was good for my ego."
"There are some things that are off the record in the GPaK."
"What's with the f-bombs?"
"She said, 'F-off, daddy.' "

4 comments:

  1. The one thing I always feel good about after a GPaK outing is the number of laughs conjured up over food. Seriously, nothing goes better with a great big pile of good grub than humor. It doesn't hurt with GPaK himself pounds out a humorous recap of the event despite being swamped with plenty of other duties. Big props man!

    With that, I went with the Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwich. Nothing is light fare at Iggy's, and this includes the pile it high shreds of BBQ pork topped with fresh onions and a unique cole slaw on a toasted baguette. The beer batter fries (at least that's what I remember them being called) are fabulous and my tip is to dip them in the chili sauce they serve with the pre-meal bread.

    One other tip I discovered while perusing their web site (post-meal, of course) was that with the purchase of two entrees you can print out a coupon and get a free dessert. DOH!

    Food quality: 9
    Water: watery
    Man up possibilities: 10
    Service: 8.5
    Overall: 9

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine job on review my good man Kratz.

    Contrary to popular belief...we had some really good mojo today....And that other lunch bunch can take a long walk on a short pier.

    I selected the fish tacos based on my previous dinning experiences at Iggys. They did not disappoint.

    The fish (Cod I think)was fried up golden but very tender. The corn tortillas were doubled up for strength to prevent any fish taco castastrophe. And was complimented with a light amount of cabage, topped off with a light but super tasty sauce.

    The tacos were served a generous portion of rice. And speaking of service, our waiter was great when he wasn't acting in a new Iggy's commerical they were shooting on the other side of the room.

    After last week's meal, this was a huge step up and I love it.

    Man-up - 10
    Service - 9
    Quality 9.5

    Overall - 9.5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, for the late post, but I've just barely been awakened from my beef-and-fat-induced coma. And of all the involuntary persistent vegetative states that I've experienced, this was by far the best.

    When we decided that Iggy's was today's destination, I figured that I would go with my usual All-American burger (minus the retched sauce) but when I remembered that Chuckles owed me $6 from our taco stand adventure, I decided to splurge and go for the ribeye steak. Then I added sauteed mushrooms and onions for a buck extra. When in Prinaville, do as the Prinas do, I always say.

    Man-up possibilities: 10
    Service: 8, 7.5, 9, 9 (in order of servers)
    Food quality: 9
    Overall: 9

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based on that picture, I'd eat whatever was under those mushrooms. I don't care what it was; it looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete