Friday, August 7, 2009

Este Pizzeria










With the first Friday of August producing the coolest temps we've seen since mid June, the group decided it was a MUST that we hoof it to lunch this week. Okay, maybe I insisted that we walk, but it felt like a group decision or at least a majority decision. Does that count?

Anyway... after deciding we WERE walking, the Crew (minus GPaK and Brady who decided vacation was a better choice this week) tossed around a few options before selecting Big Red's suggestion of Este Pizzeria, one of the newest members to downtown's dining scene. Side note: Since I'm a New York Yankees fan, Big Red and his Red Sox affection deserve serious props for this recommendation of a New York Pizzeria— especially with a tough four-game series between the two in New York this weekend.

Upon entering this hip new joint, the four of us didn't stray far from the daily lunch special (2 slices and a drink or 1 slice, salad and a drink). GMac and I went with the later, Big Red and Wingnut opted for the double slice combo. Nobody was disappointed and the salad was surprisingly impressive with an array of mixed greens, yellow raisins, sunflower seeds, olives and tomatoes. Definitely not your typical "house salad" at an affordable pizza house.

The pizza held true to form and seemed to represent the essence of a New York slice (widely characterized as wide, thin and foldable). I went the route of pepperoni while my compadres covered the remaining lunch special choices of spinach and a meatball selection that was said to change the life of Mr. Wing.

Since the special came with a beverage, the majority of us went with the Apple Beer from the fountain (you'd have loved it, Brady) and GMac reported the fizz factor to jump off the scale to a big fat 11 (GPaK, you would have been proud).

Three or four pesky flies buzzing about our table was the one drawback to an otherwise quick, tasty and affordable trek. I only left wondering what subject our cashier taught at the MTC.

Man-up possibilities: 9 (it is pizza we are talking about)
Food quality: 9
Fizz-o-meter of Apple Beer: 11
Service: 8 (the table could have been cleaner and the flies were annoying)
Overall: 9.0

—SuperScrunch

6 comments:

  1. Dudes, that sounds pretty darn tasty to me. Meatball pizza ... MMmmmmm. Apple Beer .... garrhrhrhaah (Homer Simpson sound). Definitely want to check this place out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. este. it means "east" in spanish. or "this." either way works. it's a nice new addition to downtown lunch walkables.

    i'd been to this place a couple of times and knew the guys would like it. the place was the old guthrie's bike shop downtown on 200 east, and is a perfect size for the eatery that it is. decent table space, not too noisy, cool indie band art frames scatter the wall (yay, built to spill).

    the slices are pure nyc. thin, wide, fresh ingredient goodness. i actually prefer chicago-style (and i hate the yankees), but this is good pie. i went with the veggie choice (fresh spinach leaves, garlic and y.onion) and the meatball slice that was intriguing. it was also really good.

    lunch menu is no-brainer: go for slices. other menu items i saw included calzones and stromboli. the salads looked awesome.

    the beverages other than soda fountain are also commendable (black lev, sierra nevada pale, local micros, san pelligrino, teas, etc.).

    like i said, a good addition to 200 east. and bar x is across the street. can't beat that. almost went for the apres lunch beverage. alas, we declined.

    man-up possibilities: 7 (not chicago style)
    food quality: 8
    fizz-o-meter of apple beer: this knob goes to "11"
    service: 7 (see scrunch)
    intangibles (nice walk, funky): 8
    overall: 8.0

    ~br

    p.s. online: www.estepizzaco.com/menu.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got meatball pizza while I was gone? Are you kidding me?

    Whatever happened to GPaK loyalty?

    Just kidding. I hope we do visit this place again sometime when I'm tagging along. I even promise not to complain about the walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In an effort to catch up with the rest of the Crew, Brady and I went to Este today. I was disappointed that the meatball slice was not an option, but my two pieces of pepperoni were delicious. I do enjoy the New York-style pizza, with its thin crust and foldability. Very nice.

    And the fizz-o-meter for my Coke was off the charts. In fact, it was almost too fizzy. But that is just a minor quibble.

    All in all, a nice, short-ish walk to this pizzeria was just what the GPaK Crew's recently missing members needed to prepare for a return to the full crew tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, GPaK. The Este was quite tasty, though we did notice the flies. The table next to us had a bowl of these little cinnamon doughnut-hole looking things. I was tempted to have Greg distract the group sitting there so I could steal some. All in all, a good find. I'll definitely return.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you boys got to enjoy the pizza...wish I could joined you today.

    I also had an amazing experience at Este. My hat is off to Big Red for the suggestion!

    Both of my slices were very tasty and I'd go for the meatball one again if I was lucky enough to be there the day they ran the meatball special. I loved that they were just a touch on the greasy side, where the cheese could have just slid off if I had let it.

    My only complaint was the annoying fly that continuously buzzed our table.

    Good stuff all around.

    Food Quality: 8
    Service: 7
    Man-up possibilities: 7.5

    ReplyDelete