Friday, May 22, 2009

A haberdashery by any other name ...



As Greg already posted, today's lunch destination was Hagermann's -- pronounced Haberdasherman's, which is odd since I never see any of the usual accoutrements you'd expect at a Haberdashery. Find yourself suspicious of an eatery trying to pose as seller of men's dry goods? Don't worry, you are in good company.

Anyway, I went for the meatball sandwich (well, duh) since almost everything else on the menu has a foof-factor of 8 or higher. Haberdasherman's does serve soup in a bread bowl, which is pretty tasty. I'm generally all in favor of edible serving-ware.

I knew from past experience that the meatball sandwich never comes on toasted bread, so I made a point to ask the cashier if they would be willing to toast the bread this time.

"They always grill the bread," he replied, "but I'll put a special note on the order anyway."

Serving guy gets a 10 for going the extra mile. Unfortunately, sandwich-making guy gets a big fat zero for ignoring serving guy and giving me my sandwich on un-toasted bread. I'd have asked them to redo the sandwich, but apparently my order contained the last meatballs left on the planet, so I just had to make do.

Though the bread wasn't to my liking, I did benefit from ordering the final meatball sandwich of the day as they obviously had enough ingredients for maybe one and a third sandwiches -- and piled them all on mine. As a result, my sandwich was huge and I wasn't able to finish the whole thing. Also, the owners ought to think about layering in a bunch of mozzarella instead of the paltry sprinkling of cheese (parmesan?) they currently use.

Enough criticisms. The cranberry cookie I ordered was delicious and I deftly sidestepped the ultra-fizzy soda for which Haberdasherman's is renowned; my Powerade was extra blue and chock-full of life-giving electrolytes.

Man-up possibilities: 6
Food quality: 7
Overall: 6.5

— Brady

2 comments:

  1. OK, even I have to admit that from the picture it looks like there is an ample supply of cheese on the sandwich. Do not believe it. That is merely an optical illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous! I'm needing to "man up" tomorrow to make up for being MIA last week.

    ReplyDelete